Friday, December 23, 2011

I should be sleeping....

Regretfully, the picture above is the only picture I have of our trip thus far, and it was taken at our home. However, I wanted to share how grateful Michael and I are for the blessings that our friends and family have bestowed upon us while we were preparing for this trip.

I wish I could have more pictures. I wish I had pictures of the little babies that I got to kiss, tickle, and love on this afternoon. I wish I had pictures of Michael carrying two or three boxes of food across the street to the hotel/shelter/housing area. (We were really not sure exactly what it was.) I wish I even had pictures of the traveling itself, but honestly, it feels like I woke up around 10am yesterday, and have not stopped moving. God has been good to us as far as travels go, and Michael and I (though tired) really do have a lot of energy coming from Him alone, and we pray this energy sustains until we finally get to rest again tonight.

We finally arrived in Atlanta today a few minutes late because we forgot about the time change. We drove straight into the church parking lot changing at a gas station a few miles away. We took turns sleeping and driving, and we did stop in Alabama at a friend's home to get a couple of hours rest in a real bed. As soon as we got to the church it was go-time. We were bussed to a warehouse where there seemed a few hundred people were gathered awaiting the "Christmas Party." There was a place for children to get haircuts, inflateables, a Santa Claus where you could get a picture, a food bank where you could pick up a few boxes of food, an area to get clothes, an area to get some pizza and something to drink, and finally, a prayer tent. I honestly did not get to watch a whole lot of the action. Michael and I were put to work almost immediately. Three different areas were invited. They live in what was explained as hotels, but I'm not very sure if the hotels themselves are still in business.

I don't have much longer. We have to get up from our nap, get dressed in warmish clothes, and then head back out. I am going to beg Michael to stop at a Starbucks! We go out on the streets tonight, and when we return I will post again as soon as I am able to explain what my heart is struggling with. Michael and I are safe. We are staying in a good place, and we are having a blast. Thank you for all of your prayers.



No comments:

Post a Comment